Keeping Children Safe from Button Batteries

As more electronic items appear in our modern houses, families with young children are being warned of the dangers of button batteries in a bid to reduce accidental choking and poisoning.

If undetected a swallowed lithium or  “button” battery can do serious damage to the gastrointestinal system. Electric currents from button batteries combined with salvia creates caustic soda causing very serious internal burns.button batteries

CAPT (Child Accident Prevention Trust) have scaled up their campaign on the dangers of button batteries following the tragic death of a 2 year old on Boxing Day. To view their website for more information on the dangers of button batteries or for any information on how to prevent accidents involving children please click here

What precautions can I take to protect my child?

  • Make sure that toys and other products using button cell batteries, such as small electronic devices, have lockable battery compartments. This should mean that they are safe for children to use as the batteries are locked away
  • Be extra vigilant with items including musical greeting cards, flameless candles and remote controls as they do not have lockable compartments. RoSPA advises that children should not be allowed to have access to these products if the battery compartment is not secure.
  • It is a good idea to ensure that spare batteries are locked away, and used batteries are disposed of correctly.

To view our keeping children safe from button batteries hand-out please CLICK HERE  or alternatively we have copies in the entrance area  of Nursery.